As the name suggests, this recipe comes all the way from coorg! COORG BIRYANI Ingredients 750 grams boneless mutton, cut into 2 inch pieces
1½ cups basmati rice, soaked for 20 minutes and drained 1 bay leaf
2 inch cinnamon stick
8-10 black peppercorns
¼ star anise
2 tsps fennel seeds (saunf)
1½ tsps poppy seeds (khas khas)
2 green cardamoms
3½ tbsps + 2 tsps ghee
1 large onion, sliced
1 inch ginger, roughly chopped
4-5 garlic cloves
2 green chillies
8-10 cashew nuts
Salt to taste
¼ cup yogurt
1 medium onion
¾ cup coconut milk
½ tbsp Tata Sampann Meat Masala
Chopped fresh coriander for sprinkling + for garnish
Raita to serve Method 1. Dry roast bay leaf, cinnamon stick, cloves, black peppercorns, star anise and fennel seeds and poppy seeds, green cardamoms till fragrant. Transfer into a blender jar and grind to a fine powder.
2. For the mutton, heat 2 tbsps ghee in a pressure cooker. Add onion and sauté till golden brown. 3. Meanwhile, transfer the spice mix in a bowl and set aside. Add ginger, garlic cloves and green chillies in the same blender jar and blend to a fine paste. 4. Add the prepared paste into the onion mixture and mix well. Cook till the raw smell goes away. 5. Add cashew nuts and raisins and mutton in the pan, add salt and sauté on high heat till mutton turns golden brown. 6. Add yogurt and mix well. Cover and cook for 4-5 whistles.
7. Meanwhile, heat 1½ tbsps ghee in a deep non-stick pan. Thinly slice onion, slightly crush and add into the pan. Sauté till the onion turns golden brown. 8. Add rice and lightly sauté. Add 1 tbsp of the prepared spice mix and salt and mix well. Add 2¼ cups hot water and coconut milk and mix well. Cover and cook till the rice is ¾ cooked.
9. Open the lid of the cooker once the pressure has reduced completely, add Tata Sampann Meat Masala and mix well, place the cooker back on heat and cook for a few minutes.
10. In a deep non-stick pan, add remaining ghee and add a layer of the mutton and spread it evenly. Spread the prepared rice and repeat the process one more time. Squeeze lemon juice on top and sprinkle chopped coriander. Cover with aluminium foil and place the lid on and cook on low heat for 20-25 minutes.
11. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve hot with raita. Click to Subscribe: http://bit.ly/1h0pGXf
For more recipes : http://www.sanjeevkapoor.com
Best cooked in Wonderchef Kitchenware. Buy Now on : https://goo.gl/eB9kQq
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/ChefSanjeevKapoor
Twitter : https://twitter.com/sanjeevkapoor #SanjeevKapoor #CoorgBiryani